Hi Imesh,

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> wrote:

> I think even now this is configurable via autoscaling policies (by setting
> appropriate threashold values). IMO if we are introducing a new
> configuration option to enable/disable autoscaling feature that should come
> at service subscription level (application deployment).

Yes achieving this feature by setting thresholds to higher values are only
a workaround :) Even if we set it to higher values, sometimes we are
getting very big stat values from CEP. So we can't say what is the maximum
value a stat can take :)

And if we are supporting it on subscription level, then we can't change it
at runtime. User can change his mind and wants to enable the auto-scaling
later.

So I can think of three solutions.

   1. Introduce a new API to enable/disable auto-scaling feature.
   2. Using the existing updateClusterMonitor API (this API is for manual
   scaling)
   3. Having a configuration element in autoscaler.xml

IMO, option 1 is best. Reason is that we don't need to restart Stratos. If
we are going for option 3, we have to restart Stratos inorder to take the
effects.
wdyt?

Thanks.

> Thanks
>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Rajkumar Rajaratnam <rajkum...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> Since we are supporting manual scaling now, how about $Subject?
>>
>> However, min-check will be executed periodically, but we should be able
>> to disable scale check.
>>
>> I can see some other paas frameworks offer this feature. Basically it
>> allows the user to decide how many instances he wants and manually scale up!
>>
>> It is just a matter of introducing an element
>> (turnOffAutoscaling/disableAutoscaling) in autoscaler xml. And we can make
>> it to true by default.
>>
>> wdyt?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --