Hi people,

First of all, I’m not sure if this is a Stratos or a jclouds issue, I haven’t
been able to nail down the area of the code to be absolutely sure.

It looks like on vCloud, Stratos/jclouds “injects" the metadata by ssh-ing into
freshly spun up cartridges, using the root username and the
vcloud-autogenerated password. This seems to require that the root username
doesn’t have a password on bootup (sudo passwd -d root), and that
password-based authentication is enabled in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

This is an issue for us, since we need to orchestrate some VMs that we can’t
ssh into, at least not from the node that Stratos runs on (running the
cartridge agent later on isn’t an issue).

I heard that in the past this wasn’t the case, and that the metadata was passed
in via the guest customisation script.

Q0: Is this a Stratos or a jclouds issue? If it’s a jclouds issue I’ll take
this up with their mailers.

Q1: Is it true, that in the past the metadata was injected in via the guest
customisation script? If so, what motivated that change?

Q2: Can anyone point me at the relevant area of the code, and maybe even at
what the old code used to look like?

Thanks and best regards,

Michiel