Hi Gayan,

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Gayan Gunarathne <gay...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Reka,
>
> This is a good improvement to the current set up. I have a small question.
>
> How are we validating the min/max in the case of update?
>
> Think if I have deployment of with 5 cartridges.(My min and max is 2 and
> 5) This means it is fully scale up.
>
> Now I am changing to min and max to 2 and 3 and still we are getting
> health stat , to increase the instance count. Then are we still allow this
> min/max update or are we blocking this?

This is a good point. I believe that it is actually up to the application
updater to handle it. If you decrease the max, then excess members will
gracefully be shutting down. During that time, if the health stats is still
high, then that particular cluster instance will be exhausted. In that
case, it will notify the parent. So, if the parent has room or updated with
more GroupInstances or Application has bursting support, then it will get
group scale up or application bursting.

Also, before updating the cartridge, they can go through the existing
topology or instance count and come up with a good count to be updated. If
the cluster is getting used at its max, then it is better to increase it
rather than decreasing it..

> Are we validating any of these stuff?

Nope..We are not validating this currently. We can implement a validation
as it will provide protection to the existing cluster. In that case, we can
check the activeMembers count and let anyone update with the max as greater
value than activeMembers. WDYT?

Thanks,
Reka

--