Hi Reka,

Thank you for the clarifications.Yeah we can introduce validation with the
MAX values to secure the existing cluster over the update as mention below.
I think it will provide more stability in the existing deployment.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Reka Thirunavukkarasu <r...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi Gayan,
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Gayan Gunarathne <gay...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Reka,
>>
>> This is a good improvement to the current set up. I have a small question.
>>
>> How are we validating the min/max in the case of update?
>>
>> Think if I have deployment of with 5 cartridges.(My min and max is 2 and
>> 5) This means it is fully scale up.
>>
>> Now I am changing to min and max to 2 and 3 and still we are getting
>> health stat , to increase the instance count. Then are we still allow this
>> min/max update or are we blocking this?
>>

> This is a good point. I believe that it is actually up to the application
> updater to handle it. If you decrease the max, then excess members will
> gracefully be shutting down. During that time, if the health stats is still
> high, then that particular cluster instance will be exhausted. In that
> case, it will notify the parent. So, if the parent has room or updated with
> more GroupInstances or Application has bursting support, then it will get
> group scale up or application bursting.
>
> Also, before updating the cartridge, they can go through the existing
> topology or instance count and come up with a good count to be updated. If
> the cluster is getting used at its max, then it is better to increase it
> rather than decreasing it..
>

>> Are we validating any of these stuff?
>>

> Nope..We are not validating this currently. We can implement a validation
> as it will provide protection to the existing cluster. In that case, we can
> check the activeMembers count and let anyone update with the max as greater
> value than activeMembers. WDYT?

+1. IMO also that validation will provide more stability in the deployment.