On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Chamila De Alwis <chami...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is the possibility of upgrading to a newer version of Axis2 available (if
> we are using an older version) ?

Yes that's possible, currently we are using 1.6.1-wso2v10 and in nexus we
have 1.6.1-wso2v12 [1]. @Lahiru: Would you mind giving this a try?

> We might lose the granularity in the responses (currently we use custom
> exceptions)  if we switch to REST as the protocol between the components
> (we'd have to use HTTP status codes, but they can be granular only up to a
> certain level. After that we'd be down to String comparison).

I tend to disagree with this statement, when two software components are
communicating with SOAP, it is possible to use exceptions for communicating
errors. This helps the client to identify the errors by looking at the
exceptions.

However it does not mean that we need to do the same with any other type of
a web service framework. REST by design is different than SOAP. With REST
we could use response messages with error codes if we need to identify
specific errors. Otherwise the client could directly display the error
message given in the response message. IMO this does not mean that we are
loosing granularity in the responses.

Yes definitely, we will have a separate discussion on this topic and add a
future task to implement it if we decide to go on that approach.

[1]
http://maven.wso2.org/nexus/content/groups/wso2-public/org/apache/axis2/axis2/1.6.1-wso2v12/

Thanks

--