Hi Imesh,

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 10:40 PM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Sajith,
>
> PCA executes life cycle state events at the startup and it also wait until
> member initiatlized event to start its process. Therefore I do not think we
> can apply patches to PCA and restart.

There are two aspects in here as I see.
 1) Applying patches to already running server and restart.
 2) Applying patches to a 'fresh' server and start

It would have been ideal if we can achieve both scenarios above, but yes,
with the points you have mentioned (1) is not possible. I remember we had a
discussion in past regarding this,
did we finalized it?. So, if there is a running cluster (say,100 nodes) and
if we need to apply a patch, approach would be to spawn up 'new' instances
with the patches?

Even in that scenario, there is no easy way to track the changes being done
to the originally released binary, since the current approach is to replace
the old files with patched files.
The model I was thinking is to implement a model where PCA always keep the
original files (backed up) and read the latest files (from a patch
location), which is the exact way of Carbon
patch model.

Can you please explain the patching process you are proposing?