On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> wrote:

> Even in that scenario, there is no easy way to track the changes being
> done to the originally released binary, since the current approach is to
> replace the old files with patched files.
> The model I was thinking is to implement a model where PCA always keep the
> original files (backed up) and read the latest files (from a patch
> location), which is the exact way of Carbon
> patch model.

I'm not sure of the technical details of this approach for an already
running instance. The PCA is distributed as a ZIP of Python source files
and is run by executing agent.py. Once that process starts, current PCA
design does not allow for a PCA restart.

The solution might be to change how the PCA initializes itself, for
example, if the current member is already active in the topology, the agent
can skip the member initialization and activation flow. We might be able to
use the maintenance mode for this.

Regards,
Chamila de Alwis
Committer and PMC Member - Apache Stratos
Software Engineer | WSO2 | +94772207163
Blog: code.chamiladealwis.com