On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:14:15 -0700, Craig McClanahan wrote:
> I also suspect, given our track record :-), that re-engineering
> Struts from scratch based on the latest platform APIs wouldn't take
> more time than a gradual refactoring from the current code.

I sometimes wonder if not getting a clean start is why things keep taking so long. :)
The codebase was not designed to be easily tested. People are skittish about making
significant changes, and so we tread softly and slowly. To mangle an old chestnut:
I've been test-first, and I've been test-last. Test-first is better (and faster!).

But I probably won't be involved with new development myself, and them that do the
work can make the decisions :)

Anyway, it does sound like the consensus is to create STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH at the 1.2.2
tag, dub the HEAD 1.3.0, and document the minimum for the HEAD as Servlet 2.3.