From: "Ted Husted" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Struts Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 6:28 AM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] HTTPD or Tomcat (once more with feeling) [was Adopt ...]

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:08:49 -0700, Martin Cooper wrote:
> I'm sorry, but I don't believe your changes reflect the discussions
> here at all. We did not discuss removing the development build
> availability from the 'aquiring' page,

I'm vetoing that product change on the basis that we did not vote on the
1.2.5  build. I think most of us expected there to be a vote after 1.2.5 was
rolled and before it was linked from the site. A link on the acquiring page
says more about the build than I believe many of us are ready to say.

If someone wants to put it back, that's fine. I'm not going to get into a
commit war over this. :)

> and did not discuss the re-
> introduction of the requirement for a release plan. Those are both
> points I happen to disagree with. I don't think either was a
> necessary change from where we were already.

True, we did not discuss whether a release plan is required as part of this
thread, which is why I made of point of mentioning that change separately.

Since rolling the release involves tagging the repository, I think requiring
that a release plan be published in advance is important to be sure
"volunteers don't step over each other".

We've never had a release without a plan, and the other projects seem to
require one implicitly. When I first reduced the release guidelines and
bylaws to writing, I used the word "may", and now feel we should say "must"
.

Again, if someone wants to change the wording back to "may", I won't
complain. :)

> However, I'm so totally pissed off with this discussion that I'm
> not going to bother trying to push for what I believe is the right
> way to do this, and I'll let Ted define the process we use, even if
> I consider that to be the wrong way. If everyone else is happy with
> that, then so be it.

Neither the website nor the 1.2.5 release plan were in synch with what we
were actually doing, and I've done my best, in good faith, to reconcile what
we say with what we do.

I still think we should use the HTTPD Guidlines out-of-the-box. But when
there wasn't support from the other committers, I tried to document the
process we followed with 1.2.4, as I understood it. If my understanding is
imperfect, then we should make the necessary changes to the guidelines and
bylaws to reflect what it is we want to do.

It was never my intention to upset anyone. I just wanted to ask whether we
wanted to just do what the original Apache team, Apache HTTPD, does, and
then correct the website.