On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:34:13 -0600, Joe Germuska <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wrote:
> >Yes... I'm sorry that that discussion has stalled.  Although I don't
> >even know if that's an incremental step towards a POJO action --
> >it's practically all you need, plus a little more smarts in the
> >CreateAction command.  I'll go post a ping.
>
> OK, so I actually started looking at using POJOs for Actions, and
> it's a bit trickier than I'd thought, but I may want to use it on a
> current project, so if people want to talk about it, there's a chance
> I'll get it into Struts 1.3 sooner than later...

I'm not sure I see the reasoning / benefit of POJOs as Actions. The
implication is that some method that wasn't designed to be invoked as
a command / action can do something useful without knowing about the
request, mapping, form bean, etc. (If it has to know about those
things, then it might as well be a Command or an Action anyway. It's
certainly not a POJO at that point.) That seems so unlikely as to be
not worthwhile supporting.

> I like the general idea of saying that the "type" property can be an
> Action, a Command, or a pojo.  Perhaps there's no point in using
> Command when you can use a pojo too?

Actually, this type of overloading already leads to hard-to-track-down
problems in other parts of Struts. For example, we overload the 'path'
attribute of <forward>s so that it can be a path or a tile. If, for
some reason, your Tiles definitions don't get loaded at startup time,
the first time Struts tries to use a <forward> with a tile value, the
user gets a weird error about illegal path syntax.

In short, I'd discourage overloading attributes for multiple purposes,
because it will make it hard to determine what goes wrong when there's
a problem.

--
Martin Cooper