On 12/1/05, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In my opinion, it would be simpler to assign those tickets to the next
> major/minor release, forcing developers to assess when that milestone is
> on deck
> whether the ticket will actually get fixed in this one or moved further
> down.
> The problem with this "1.1 Family" is evident in Bugzilla where we have a
> bunch
> of tickets still assigned to the 1.2.x family.  I think these family
> categories
> are just corners where tickets go to hide and be forgotten.

+1

Personally, I think even a "Future" or "TBD" milestone clouds the issue, but
> it
> would be a good compromise.  What I'm going for is tickets are only
> assigned to
> a milestone when someone steps up and says they'll fix them or the
> community
> agrees it is a requirement of the milestone.

What I'd like to see is that, when an issue is assigned to a milestone, it
means that someone has committed to make sure it gets into that milestone,
not that someone thinks it would be a good idea to get it into that
milestone but isn't stepping up to make that happen. If we abide by that,
then I think we can add an Unspecified (or New or Undecided) as an initial
default. Whether we need an additional value for "probably never", I'm not
really sure, but I tend to think that if we just have Unspecified, that
should be enough.

As for the "probably never" tickets, just sitting in Bugzilla not having a
> milestone will be enough to keep them from the casual project view
> (assuming we
> put in place a clean roadmap).
>
> In general, I think the most simple solution will be the one that lives
> the
> longest and brings the most clarity.

+1

--