On Dec 9, 2005, at 8:02 AM, Sean Schofield wrote:

Please keep in mind that there are still a good number of people who do
not use an IDE at all.

Why on earth would you someone do such a thing?  Seriously.  I'd like
to know :-)

Bragging rights, what else :-)

There are occasions when I simply use vi and ant/maven/etc. either because I'm wanting to be closer to the bits and know what's going on or I'm too lazy to start Netbeans or because I'm pissed off at Netbeans. Then as soon as i have to code a JavaBean with a bunch of gets/sets I'll fire it up. Or do some refactoring, etc.

So it just depends on my mood. When I feel trapped by the IDE I'll move it out of the way. When I feel trapped by the command line I fire up the IDE. Sometimes I like to go without an IDE just so I will not forget what the IDE is really doing for me.

And sometimes it's because I'm using a new tool and either the IDE doesn't support it yet or I'm trying to learn it first before I try to learn how the IDE wants me to use it. Case in point: Creator and JSF. On my first JSF app I'm doing it at the command line using NetBeans for coding and maven to build. Then I'll probably do my next one in Creator so I can see what kind of value it adds.

I used to think people who used multiple IDE's had a death wish, but now I'm seeing the value in that too. For example, Creator is based on Netbeans 4, but I like some features in Netbeand 5. So I'm starting to use Creator in places where it makes sense to do so, Netbeans elsewhere, and maven to compile/run/test everything. I haven't tried Eclipse yet :-)

Greg