Ummm... I guess you guys don't do a lot of debugging then?  You would
rather imagine what a value was a certain point in time rather then
actually know what is was?  If you never make mistakes then there is
no issue but if you think a value is 'x' it only take 5 seconds to be
100% sure.  Of course there is System.out.println but are you going to
add those for all 10, 15 values in question?

I agree that a lot of IDE features are overrated.  I'm also not a big
fan of Eclipse either but that is not the only IDE.  There are some
things an IDE gives you that I think you're crazy to miss out on.
Managing all of your packages and classpaths is trivial.  Then there
are the refactoring tools.

I don't know if it makes sense to use a text editor just because you
are "mad at your IDE."  Maybe you should get a better IDE?  Try
JBuilder 2005.  The free version does everything you vi lovers would
need.  I don't buy the argument that IDE's are slow.  I agreed with
that argument when the first java based IDE's emerged in the 90's but
we're way past that point.  You can also turn off most of the
questionably helpful stuff that you are complaining about.

My 2 cents.  You are free to use whatever you want of course.  Just
thought it would be a fun Friday topic to find out what the IDE haters
are thinking.  I'm pretty comfortable sticking with mine but whatever
"flips your boat."

sean