Jason Carreira wrote:

Well, I'm of the opinion that the Portlet API
specifically shouldn't have extended the Servlet API, but I think there is something to use implementing Servlet API classes with Portlet implementations. As I've previously mentioned, this is the approach Cocoon is either looking to do or has done by now, and I think we should work with them to complete that library and perhaps move it to Jakarta Commons.

Ugh... I really don't like that... really... seems like using an ugly
hack instead of defining a higher-level abstraction.
Either way, I highly recommend reading the two threads linked to by this Cocoon vote to use the servlet classes directly:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cocoon.apache.org/msg41132.html

The cocoon folks are very smart and have been tackling this problem for years. They had their own Environment abstraction meant to support servlets and portlets, but also command line executions. If they think it is better to switch, I think we should take that very seriously.