I think that there should be ONE strict naming system that every
commiter has to obey whether writing a high-profile article or an
informan email. Such a system will indeed serve as a tool to help
clarify versions. After all, when I say for example "Struts 2" I do
not want to explain later have I meant only Struts 2.x or Struts 2.x+.
Having a system is usually a good thing.