On 7/5/06, Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/5/06, James Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Your thoughts?

I think we are dangerously closed to discussion what "is" is :)

So, lets have that discussion and get it over with.
 <skipped>
Other people are going to refer to Struts the same way we refer to
"MySQL" or "ASP.NET".
 <skipped>
Just like when I say I use "ASP.NET, I could mean 1.0, or 1.1, or even
2.0. When I say I use MySQL, I could mean anything from 3.0 to 4.0 to
4.1 to 5.0 to 5.1. If I have a technical question, the version could
be important. But often it is not.

I think that no one disagrees that "Struts" is a collective name for
all Struts versions. Apparently no one disagrees that default Struts
version will change in time, moving from 1.x codebase to 2.x codebase,
like it happened with Windows for example.

The disagreement and confusion is having and publicly using "1" and
"2" labels. Do we use them internally? Do we use them publicly? What
do these labels mean? Do they identify generations like Java and Java2
or Win9x and WinNT, or do they identify major version number? That was
the reason why I resurrected this thread. Please allow me to quote
myself (with modifications):

=== cut here ===
[ Approach 1: generations/branches ]

* Struts 1.x, 2.x and any consecutive codebases is collectively called
Struts Framework  (full name) or just Struts (short name).
* Struts 1.x codebase is collectively called Struts 1 where "1" is
part of the name.
* Struts 2.x codebase and any consecutive codebases is collectively
called Struts 2 where "2" is part of the name.

[ Approach 2: continuous version numbering of one unified product]

* Struts 1.x, 2.x and any concecutive codebases is collectively called
Struts Framework  (full name) or just Struts (short name).
* Struts 1.x or Struts 2.x or Struts x.y identifies a version number
or version range of Struts Framework as one product; "x.y" can be any
valid version number. Therefore:
** Struts 1.x codebase is collectively called Struts 1.x where "1.x"
means original Struts Framework.
* Struts 2.x codebase is collectively called Struts 2.x where "2.x"
means version range for code brought by WW and any future development.
* There are NO official "Struts 1" or "Struts 2" names/products.
=== cut here ===

I see that most committers lean to the second option. If yes, then let
us choose it and stick with it, even in informal mailing list
correspondence.

Michael.