> Ted,
> Good questions. Related to that - why is it than i18n
> resource bundles are tied to the action class rather
> than the _view_ (the view would tend to make more
> sense, I believe).

In practice I've found it makes more sense to keep them at a higher level... we
keep one resource bundle per module now, having moved away from the per-action
approach because it's too much work to manage.

> This is the kind of stuff we should clean up with
> Struts 2.
>
> One thing I'd add before Jason chimes in is that you
> can tie validation to the action name by naming the
> file ActionClasss-actionName-validation.xml. But you
> still also must have the action class in the filename
> as well.

Well, yeah... but you're directly tied to the action properties for validation,
so is that really a bad thing?

> Perhaps the best thing to do to address these little
> issues is to mock out what an ideal webapp would look
> like using ideal configurations/annotations. It won't
> work, of course, but it would be a great blueprint
> for what we should aim for.

I'd suggest not messing with validation too much right now. If you're
interested (really, time-investingly interested) in how validation should look
in the future, join JSR-303. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to invest
time in new validation features only to replace them with the standard when it
comes out.

Jason