To fight philosophy with philosophy ;), the goal of Struts 2 has been pretty much the same since we started: to simplify web development to create a more developer-friendly framework. We've been following the Struts Ti plan [1] roughly since late 2005. WebWork was brought on board as it was the perfect, solid and proven framework that these ideas could be built upon.

The current driving goal of Struts 2 is to get a GA release out. Yes, we've implemented some pretty core changes and resolved a lot of the rough spots [2] in WebWork 2, and now it is time to get them out to the wider public. Following such progress can be difficult, particularly because of the organization structure of Struts and Apache projects in general. In WebWork, you had two project leads that directed efforts. In Struts, you have a group of committers on the Project Management Committee (PMC), each with an equal voice in determining where the project is going. As expected, each PMC member has their own idea of where the project should go, so direction and conflicts are more difficult to discern and resolve.

That said, I'm very confident that we are all on board to get Struts 2 out and make it the best framework available. All I can tell you is to follow the dev mailing list and get involved in the discussions. That is the best way to keep abreast of the changes and directions, as well as move the project to where you want it to go. If you see a change you don't like, speak up! Your voice is just as important as anyone else's, and the more talented people we have behind the project, the better.

Don

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsTi
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/struts/RoughSpots

Alexandru Popescu wrote:
First of all Happy New Year to everyone! .... and then a bit of a
philosophical email - something related to previous post by Rainer and
something that bothered me for the last couple of months.

Before the merge, I was spending a lot of my spare time contributing
to WW and on the XWork side along with Rainer, Jason, and occasionally
a couple of more guys. The direction was clear for everybody and
everybody knew where we are heading to. During the merge and
afterwards, I got very confused... I've seen lots of emails in the
form: "hey I've thought about this incredible idea, how does it
sound?... oh by the way I have already implemented it... (and as a
side note it changes everything you knew about the underlying
pieces)". At this point I have stepped back a bit and I have started
to just watch because I HAD NO IDEA where we want to go - and not the
generic answers. There are lots of discussions about alphas, betas,
GAs, etc releases but I haven't seen a single one that would qualify
itself to be promoted to final users.

Now I see Rainer asking for help and I tend to see the reasons why.
And as always I would be happy to help, but I frankly would like to
see what the intentions are. Because, once again, I would like to
understand why I would put my efforts behind it - and hopefully not
just to create a couple of alphas, betas, etc.

BR,

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.