No, I wouldn't want to repack JARs... we actually do that with Java Web
Parts with a couple of Commons packages, but what I'm working on now has a
larger number of dependencies and they are a little more complex.
Definitely wouldn't want to do any bytecode manipulation either, or any
other voodoo for that matter ;)

If a plugin is to be truly "drop in and go", that kind of implies all
dependencies are included, doesn't it?  That's what my naive little mind
had in its brain LOL... if that's not the case, so be it, I'll just need
to document the dependencies and modify my build script a little, not the
end of the world.

That wouldn't make a terrible S2 enhancement though, the ability to
(optionally) unpack any JARs in a plugin JAR and add them to the classpath
(not even sure you can do that dynamically).  Would let developers make
plugins truly self-contained and also ensure proper versioning of
dependent libraries... of course, there's that nagging conflicting
versions issue, so maybe not such a great idea :(

Thanks,
Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti