2007/8/7, Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> All of the creative works in the distribution are covered by the
> license in the root directory.
>
> We over perform in the case of source code files in case the file is
> separated from the distribution. But I don't see why that concern
> should apply to example files. If our charter were to create CSS and
> HTML files, then we might have different concerns.

The reason to put a license headers in example files is to be clear
about that the particular file is distributed under the ASL and the
the rights are not reserved. This is what I understood by the
following FAQ [1]

<snip>
Why is a licensing header necessary?

License headers allow someone examining the file to know the terms for
the work, even when it is distributed without  the rest of the
distribution.  Without a licensing notice, it must be assumed that the
author has reserved all rights,  including the right to copy, modify,
and redistribute.
</snip>

In other words, it reminds the user that he is free to use it :-)

Antonio

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-whyheader