On 10/5/07, Matt Raible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I would be hesitant about doing this - mostly because no one else does
> it.

If we let that stop us, then there would be no Struts project. :)

> It might work well for developers, but does it really enhance the
> users' experience?

Speaking as a user (and *every* active Struts committer I know *is* a
user), I would say projects like Struts-Menu and Struts-Layout have
shown that there are many ways to enhance the user experience. By
moving the original tags to a plugin, it becomes much easier for
people to create startling, leading-edge alternatives, far beyond
anything we would want to attempt in the core. As Don expressed in his
bullet points, it's a win-win for everyone.

The only downside is the number of artifacts an application needs to
carry in its lib folder. As mentioned elsewhere, the ideal solution
there would be to create an omnibus struts JAR, like the spring.jar,
that contained the core and the "standard" plugins (tags, dojo,
code-behind, ...).

I'm not sure of the licensing issues, but, in terms of "user
experience", it would be even better if we could roll the freemarker,
ognl, xwork, and common-logging-api JARs into the omnibus struts.jar,
so that there would be exactly one Struts artifact for a
"run-of-the-mill" application.

-- HTH, Ted
Attend "Migrating to Ajax" at ApacheCon US 2007:
 * http://us.apachecon.com/us2007/program/talk/1883