Bringing together a couple of other threads, for Struts 2.1.x  (or
even Struts 2.2.x), we seem to be talking about

 * Creating a "plugin" artifact, along the lines of the "apps"
artifact, which would include all the plugins we maintain in the
Struts repository

 * Creating a "struts2-core-plugin" artifact that would include the
plugins that are needed to write a "typical" Struts 2 application.

The "struts2-core-plugins" artifact would contain the equivalent of the

 * codebehind plugin (including zero-config)
 * JSON plugin
 * restful plugin

along with new

 * annotations plugin
 * tags plugin

I haven't looked into yet, but we might also consider a "persistence"
plugin with JPA support, if that makes any sense.

The Struts "lib" artifact would host the struts2-core.jar, the
struts2-core-plugins.jar, and whatever dependencies these artifacts
require.

We could use strut2-core.jar with the struts2-core-plugins.jar, and
just add any other plugins we like that do not overlap with the core
plugins, or mix and match strut2-core.jar with whatever plugins are
preferred (if any).

Ideally, the same code would be available in the
struts2-core-plugin.jar and as standalone plugins. The key problem
might be glomming together the struts-plugin.xmls, since I believe we
only get one to a JAR.

Arguably, we could also include an Ajax plugin in the "standard
array", but I would like to explore alternatives to the Dojo plugin. I
think we should maintain a Dojo plugin, just as we plan to maintain a
Spring plugin, but I'd also like to try an AjaxParts or a (complete)
YUI plugin before we pull the trigger.

We might also want to consider whether we should grow the JSON plugin
into a web-services plugin. Starting next month, I'll be doing a lot
more work with web services myself.