I thought I'd just add that I've been thinking along the same line as Matt, but rather than client-side XSTL I've been desperate for a good quality javascript templating library.

I use the REST plugin to output json results (serialized via the json plugin) and html templates and merge them on the client-side. Client-side xstl could replace the merge process but json to a Template Context object has been a lower entry point. I'd love to get my hands on a javascript freemarker template engine rather than client-side xstl, until at least xslt all it's available in all first-grade browers with better tooling. My client-side template merging process is shoddy though.

Jeromy Evans wrote:
Don will provide much more insight, but I thought I'd mention that the REST plugin already automatically serializes the model as XML when an xml response is requested (xstream). The client can already choose to apply a transformation to that XML response as proposed by Matt (albeit there's no doctype/schema in the xml response). The plugin need not play any further part in this. The xml response can already be customised via xstream converters.

When an html response is requested that REST plugin already returns the default/specified view as preferred by Tom.

The only facet that's missing is what to provide when an html response is requested but there's no corresponding view, in which case a server-side transformation to html would be valuable.

regards,
Jeromy Evans

Tom Schneider wrote:
Personally, I !!HATE!! writing xsl. I try to avoid it at all costs, but maybe others might feel differently. Is the idea here that the action would output XML then let the xsl processor on the client convert it to html? If so, would you expect the domain model to be automatically serialized to xml, or would there need to be code to do that? Also, would we need a new xsl for each screen? I guess I'm having trouble understanding exactly how this would work.

Where I work, they used to do XML + XSL -> HTML, but they did it server-side. It was terrible from a performance perspective--although moving it to the client might work better. I would still be a little hesitant to go down this path just because of the war stories I heard. :)

I think I would rather see something more along the lines of rails/grails. Have a default template that's automatically used for list/edit/delete screens. If you need to diverge from the default, then you could generate a real view from the template and start with that.
Tom

Matt Raible wrote:
I just thought of something that might be an easy way to generate
XHTML views for the REST Plugin.

What if we used XSL on the client-side with the XML views? As far as
browser capabilities, I think client-side XSL could be a hidden gem
that hasn't been looked at in a while. Of course, it could also be
something that doesn't work very well across browsers.

Do you guys think it's worth looking into?

If it works, .html (or .xhtml) could render HTML views and we could
allow users to override the XSL stylesheet.

Matt