On Jan 16, 2008, at 8:10 AM, Ted Husted wrote:

On Jan 16, 2008 12:23 AM, Frank W. Zammetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
That's a fair question, but I have an answer for it. Put simply, I feel
that anyone officially made a member of a project team has accepted a
greater level of responsibility than someone in the larger user community.

A careful reading of "How it Works" implies that the Apache Way is
designed so that individual committers do not have to accept a greater
level of responsibility. The notion is that we can invite enough
committers to the table that there will always be other volunteers
available.

@Struts, we seem to have trouble keeping enough active committers in
play to make up for the committers who are heads-down on our day jobs.
We also have trouble electing "grassroot contributors" who are not
star coders. The trouble with electing only star coders is that people
tend to focus on their own contributions, rather than applying patches
submitted by others. I can testify that some of the very best features
in Struts 1 were contributions made by people who where not
committers.

As PMC member, I would really like to know who intends to be available
to support a release, or at least who expects to be heads-down for
awhile. It's not uncommon for a release to pass with a minimum number
of binding votes. If some of the voters are about to go heads-down on
another project for six months, I'd like to know that before casting
my own GA vote. As a group, we really suck at letting each other know
that we won't be around for a while.

Since I'm not currently using Struts 2 in my day job, it's unlikely that I'll contribute much in the form of working on the project. However, I will continue to test new releases and support users that use it as part of AppFuse. If my job changes to one where I'm using Struts 2, you'll likely see an increase in my activity because I'm paid to work on it. After 5 years of spending 20+ hours a week on unpaid open source work, I've been taking a break for the last few months and I'm really enjoying myself. ;-)

Matt