If convention-plugin is not bundled with the next release, people will stick to the codebehind plugin. Last time I checked there was no smarturls for 2.1.x as well - so there is really not much choice.
(compiling from the sandbox is no option for most users)
You are probably correct. However, unless everyone agrees to promote convention plugin out of the sandbox and solidify it in the next few days or so, it will have to be a separate release outside of the bundle.

Back to the convention plugin...

If folks would like to discuss the API and solidify it over the next few
days, I'd be up for that. I'll start a new thread for that and we can
hopefully get things ready for a 2.1.1 final release of the plugin
shortly after the release of core.

Is it possible to release a 2.1.1 plugin after the core? In this case I do not feel like it is that important to make it part of the s2.1.1 release :) Until now I thought that the next possible release for the convention plugin would be 2.1.2 (or whatever build makes it).
Not really if you want it in the bundle. Otherwise, it would be an external download until 2.1.2 or some version like that. I'm up for anything.... Thoughts?

-bp