--- On Sun, 6/29/08, Al Sutton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just to follow this on, as I understand it dev, test, and
> prod map to configuration sets which are configured into
> the system at development time. Therefore the developer
> determines what the dev, test, and prod settings are so
> althought the configuration is in the application it is
> not alterable by the tech support people.

The code couldn't be changed by tech support people either? Apparently I'm
being a bit thick today (one more day before vacation; maybe I shut down a bit
prematurely). I sure don't want my app code to change across environments. I'd
*greatly* prefer not to have any special-case code in the app itself.

If I (or others, like the DBAs, server admins, whoever) can't change
configurations easily enough to make even pathological environments work then
my configuration management is broken. I (the dev) should be able to provide
configurations easily (what that means is pretty dependent on the app,
environment, required resources, etc.) and, when necessary (and possible),
provide mechanisms to edit existing (or create new) configurations. The
environment itself may be able to create and/or consume configurations, and
provide config mgmt when special needs arise.

I'm still missing something important in the thread; I'm going to give up and
watch the baby duckies and whiny baby bluejays and irritate tiny critters with
my macro lens (which I *also* don't know anything about, so I'm batting a
thousand today! ;)

Dave