Musachy Barroso wrote:
With all the problems/questions and time that the ajax tags have
caused, and not having any takers on porting to the latest Dojo
release. I would propose to deprecate, or even remove the Dojo plugin,
or at least let users know that we will not be upgrading to a newer
Dojo version anytime soon. I still like the idea of some *very* basic
tags to cover the most simple use cases, but I think Dojo was not the
right tool for the job.

This is a BIG call. Although I share the sentiment, the ajax tags are an often-stated "great feature" of S2. At least, that's what users comment until they need to do something sophisticated with the underlying library.

I suggest an approach which is consistent with the above, should be in line with your thoughts Musachy and may even make Martin C happy:

There are some core tags that must be provided/maintained by S2:
- remote div
- async submit of a form, targetting a div
- async get (anchor tag), targetting a div

We'd still supply those as tags as a minimum in say an "ajax plugin".

Rather than bundle ajax libraries with S2, we would only bundle a few templates for integration of those tags with common libraries. We use the existing theme's for this:
eg.
 <s:submit theme="dojo" href="form.action"/>
 <s:submit theme="yui" href="form.action"/>
 <s:submit theme="jquery" href="form.action"/>
The templates implement the markup or inline javascript for a default/reference implementation.

The template for the s:head tag would include the default scripts to setup the library. <s:head theme="dojo"> will setup the bundled Dojo during the deprecated period <s:head theme="jquery"> will include jquery dependencies from a default/overridden location (supplied by user). The s:head tag would be optional, but the user will be responsible for ensuring the library is available.

Library-specific extensions for the tags would be specified via dynamic attributes only.

All other dojo widget tags would be deprecated (tabbedPanel, autocompleter).

NOTE:
Ajax validation and client-side validation also deserve some discussion later.