On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Personally, I don't think Struts 2 has a strong enough API, ok, I
> _know_ Struts 2 doesn't have a strong enough API to be turned into a
> JSR, currently anyway.  Bob did some work trying to define such an
> API, and is probably 80% of the way there, but I wonder if the
> technology has moved on a bit since then...
>
> For fun in a side project, I'm going back to pure Servlets and a
> simple template language [1] to better understand what a web framework
> really needs to provide.  As I see the options now you have:
>  * Rails/Merb/Grails - rapid development, scripting language base,
> solid best of breed stack (for Grails anyway) under the covers.  On
> the other hand, using any of these to write a hello world war is
> something like 25 megabytes and a ton of dependencies.  That is fine
> for shops that need to get something up quickly and are starting from
> scratch, but not for others.
>  * JSF/Wicket/Tapestry - component development for swing/drag-and-drop
> folks, ability to wrap up complex bits into new components, usually
> nice tool support.  On the other hand, their apps tend to not be
> RESTful and take you quite a ways from HTTP.  Also, they usually
> involve a lot of server-side state management which can impact
> scalability and they sometimes rely on a Javascript to really work.
> Finally, each tends to really favor their one template language by
> design, limiting options down the road.
>  * Struts/Stripes/Spring MVC - lightweight MVC frameworks with minimal
> dependencies, with a specific focus on the presentation tier.  Easy
> access to HTTP features, not much to learn, can fit easily into most
> application stacks, and tend to be very RESTful.  These frameworks
> tend to be fast, impose little requirements on the session, and work
> with most template engines.

Another option is a client-side component-based framework like Ext or Flex
running directly against web services, RESTful or otherwise. No server-side
web framework required. Of course, you could use something server-side like
DWR to facilitate working with web services, or Jersey for RESTful services,
but that would be a choice rather than a requirement.

--
Martin Cooper

This idea of a JSR would be standardizing the third group, but I