On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Martin Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Another option is a client-side component-based framework like Ext or Flex
> running directly against web services, RESTful or otherwise. No server-side
> web framework required. Of course, you could use something server-side like
> DWR to facilitate working with web services, or Jersey for RESTful services,
> but that would be a choice rather than a requirement.

This is a nice design, when you can do it. GWT is also a good way to
build these types of apps.  Unfortunately, they can easily break much
of what makes the web what it is - the back button, unique,
addressable URI's, accessibility, search engine crawling, etc.
Therefore, I think some sort of server-side web framework will usually
be necessary, however, I don't think it has to go so far as JSF, where
they try to push all the state to the server.  I was talking with a
guy here at work who is looking to start using GWT more about how and
where a plain HTML view of the application fits.  He wants to do very
dynamic, client-side heavy views, but still needs to support search
engines and REST clients.  What if you use Jersey for your REST API,
GWT or straight JQuery for your client-side UI, then have Jersey +
something generate HTML views of your REST API, which you could use
for search engines and developers wanting to browse and interact with
your application.  If you can have the HTML representation of your
REST API auto-generated, you wouldn't have to maintain two different
interfaces, and you could go fully nuts with your client-side heavy
app without having to worry about accessibility or search engine
issues.

Don