Why do you say that and do you have specific examples? JCatapult uses a single
container and it is actually effective and very helpful. This allows you to
easily get access to the public API of JCatapult and also to override anything
you want. It also makes things faster and lighter weight. There are many
applications and developers using it without major issues.

I wonder how many users are actually swapping out the ObjectFactory at this
point and wouldn't be fine with either Guice or Spring? There is also nothing
stopping other DI containers from implementing JSR 330 and I would expect most
will.

I think the way to approach this is to have struts get out of the business of
DI completely. If everything in Struts uses the JSR annotations and APIs, then
Struts is really just a component of the web app and not really the "owner".
The webapp would declare its primary DI provider and then Struts would just
wire up using that.

The JSR also supports tiered injectors, which could be used to isolate Struts.
If Struts defines generic modules, the webapp can easily place all those
modules in a child injector if it wants. Or if could place it the main injector
if it wants access to everything. Struts shouldn't be dictating its place in
the webapp, the webapp should be dictating Struts place. Moving to JSR 330
should fix a lot of this.

-bp