Thanks Martin and Wendy for your replies.

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org> wrote:
> If you're concerned about the need for committership, then certainly
> the bar is a bit higher than just filing an iCLA. However, it's
> absolutely possible to gain committership for documentation, rather
> than code. I can think of two people, off the top of my head, who have
> been given committership in Struts primarily for documentation, at
> least initially. If there are people who are contributing patches for
> the docs, then perhaps we should be looking at that.

I didn't know people could be given committer rights to only
documentation. Last time I probed this topic, I was told (and the
email thread exists somewhere) that there are no such thing as partial
rights -- you get to commit access to everything (or nothing) under
the struts group. Since Confluence is a different system, perhaps
things became more lenient when I wasn't looking.

> One other option that comes to mind is Sidewiki. I haven't actually
> played with this myself yet, but it seems like it might be an
> interesting option for allowing anyone to add content and comments
> alongside the official docs. Anyone have an opinion on how viable, or
> otherwise, this might be?

I wasn't hoping to open up a new wiki discussion ;-) but I do remember
some committers saying they're unhappy with Confluence. If all of
Struts could put their documentation in one place, I am willing to go
wherever the group decides.

> So I guess what I'm saying is that no, I don't think I have "technical
> objections", but I think there might be other alternatives worth
> discussing too. Migrating the docs would not be an easy task!

Yes, I don't look forward to it, but I think keeping it in SVN is akin
to being frozen in an ice-berg. Even I hate editing it. Anyway, with
the help of Lukasz, I hope it is easier.

Paul