On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 8:16 PM Karl Fogel <kfo...@red-bean.com> wrote:

> The use case I started with is:
>
> "Check out a sparse tree, and then check out individual files --
> some of them maybe large binary blobs, others maybe smaller --
> where you need them.  In many cases, one will simply go into a
> particular directory and run 'svn update --depth=files' to get all
> the files in that directory.  Later, we could run 'svn update
> --depth=directories to make unmodified files go away.  In
> practice, there might be wrapper scripts around all of this."

It's admittedly been a moment since I used these regularly, but I thought
--depth was an operational filter ("do the update, but only as deep as
...") while --set-depth was used to fiddle with the stickiness of depth
configuration (with an update to that depth implied).  Karl, are you
meaning to refer to --set-depth in (at least part of) the above (and
perhaps elsewhere in this thread)?