On 31 Jul 2021, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 8:16 PM Karl Fogel <kfo...@red-bean.com>
wrote:

   The use case I started with is:
"Check out a sparse tree, and then check out individual files -- some of them maybe large binary blobs, others maybe smaller -- where you need them.  In many cases, one will simply go into a particular directory and run 'svn update --depth=files' to get
   all
   the files in that directory.  Later, we could run 'svn update
   --depth=directories to make unmodified files go away.  In
   practice, there might be wrapper scripts around all of this."

It's admittedly been a moment since I used these regularly, but I
thought --depth was an operational filter ("do the update, but only
as deep as ...") while --set-depth was used to fiddle with the
stickiness of depth configuration (with an update to that depth
implied).  Karl, are you meaning to refer to --set-depth in (at least
part of) the above (and perhaps elsewhere in this thread)?

Oh my gosh, I didn't even *know* about the --set-depth option! Thanks, Mike.

I'm pretty sure that the answer to your question is "Yes". I mean, I don't know enough (yet) about how --depth and --set-depth interact. For example, if one does 'svn checkout --set-depth=directories' [1], and then later does 'svn update --depth=file' within that tree, would the 'directories' depth be "sticky" such that sparse directory trees beneath the update would remain?

Best regards,
-Karl

[1] Note that checkout does not currently support --set-depth, but that could be easily changed. I've always thought of checkout as a special case of update anyway ("update, but from the null working copy"). Do you know of some specific reason why checkout doesn't take that option?