Karl Fogel wrote:
>>    * pristines are missing until needed (for diff, commit,
>>    [...]
>
> Hmmm, why would pristines be needed for commit?

Oh you're right, I forgot, we've already been through this: originally
it fetched them, people discussed, then Evgeny posted a tweak to make it
send full texts instead.

>> FWIW, the interop behaviour of current 'pristines-on-demand'
>> branch by itself is:
>>
>>    * new svn errors on an old WC; recommends 'svn upgrade'
>>    * new svn 'svn upgrade' quickly upgrades the WC in place,
>>    removing
>> pristines of all unmodified files
>>    * old svn errors on a new WC
>
> No reason to upgrade an old WC until someone actually wants an
> optional pristine.

In principle, an what we ideally desire, agreed.  Here I was just saying
what this branch does as it is now, before being combined with the
multi-wc-format work, which we're told is needed to accommodate what we
desire.  (I'll be looking into exactly what this means and whether
avoiding WC database changes and using on-disk pristine presence alone
is a feasible (perhaps even superior) alternative, as I mentioned.)

> Also, the point of this feature is not to remove pristines for all
> unmodified files.  It's to make it possible for users to specific
> certain circumstances (generally involving large file size!) in
> which the pristine should be omitted *for certain files*.

Understood.  That ability (to pick and choose which files it applies to,
by some client-side config) will need to be added.  I'll be looking into it.

> I expect an old svn to error on a new WC *when that new WC
> actually has some already-omitted pristines*.  Other than that
> circumstance, there's no reason an old SVN shouldn't work -- it'll
> just not implement the "optional pristines for certain files"
> feature, and the working copy will be larger than it otherwise
> might have been.  If it's important to the user to upgrade their
> svn to get some optional pristines, then the user can do so.

Understood, and exploring to what extent that may be possible.

- Julian