I guess I'm a little late to this discussion, but I just upgraded today to the svn trunk and saw the new APIs. From what I understand is that new clients can choose which WC format to use during checkout/upgrade?

If that's correct, I'd like to propose a small enhancement:

* provide an env variable that specifies the highest WC format to use.

the reason for this is that some users have multiple svn clients installed, and when upgrading one they can set this variable to avoid that not-upgraded clients can still access new wc's. Only when all clients are upgraded they can remove the env variable or set it to the newest format.
I figure this would mostly affect windows users, but still I think this
would be worth to implement.

Stefan