On Feb 25 2022, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>> [...] we are now deliberately choosing compatibility as the default,
>
> OK.  However, in this case we should document this explicitly, since the
> book explicitly documents that «svn upgrade» would upgrade to the "most
> recent metadata format supported by your version of Subversion"
> (https://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.ref.svn.c.upgrade.html).
>
> I've grepped the book for «upgrade<» and I believe the only other place
> there we need to update is
> https://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.ref.svnadmin.c.upgrade.html,
> to highlight the distinction.
>
> A release notes entry would be higher priority than updating the book.

Documented in the help text of 'checkout' and 'upgrade', in r1898527,
like this for 'upgrade' and similar for 'checkout':

[[[
  By default Subversion will upgrade the working copy to a version
  compatible with Subversion 1.8 and newer. To upgrade to a different
  version, use an option such as '--compatible-version=1.15'.
  The versions available are the same as in the 'checkout' command.
  Use 'svn --version' to see the compatible versions supported.
]]]

- Julian