On 19.02.2022 16:31, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
Stefan Kueng wrote on Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 16:11:59 +0100:
I guess I'm a little late to this discussion, but I just upgraded today to
the svn trunk and saw the new APIs.
 From what I understand is that new clients can choose which WC format to use
during checkout/upgrade?

Yes.  By default, the oldest supported WC format (currently f31,
supported by 1.8–1.14) will be used.  See [1].

[1]
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-dev/202202.mbox/%3C2069FF58-3621-414A-A3AA-28CDA210017C%40getmailspring.com%3E

If that's correct, I'd like to propose a small enhancement:

* provide an env variable that specifies the highest WC format to use.

the reason for this is that some users have multiple svn clients installed,
and when upgrading one they can set this variable to avoid that not-upgraded
clients can still access new wc's. Only when all clients are upgraded they
can remove the env variable or set it to the newest format.
I figure this would mostly affect windows users, but still I think this
would be worth to implement.

This use-case is already supported by the use of the oldest WC format by
default, isn't it?

ah, yes. If the oldest supported format is used then of course the env variable isn't necessary. I was under the impression that the newest would be used by default.

Stefan