On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 2:53 PM Julian Foad <jul...@foad.me.uk> wrote:
> This is why I think we should do at least one of:
>
> - require the exact first-introduced version (1.8 or 1.15)
> - rename the option to use a less ambiguous language, to something like
> '--wc-format-version=1.8' (meaning the version in which this format was
> introduced) or '--wc-format=31'
>
> I think those both make it clearer for the user. We need especially to
> be aware of users encountering this option for the first time, and not
> deeply knowing what they are doing. A user wanting a format compatible
> with Subversion minor version <bar>, without considering that there may
> be more than one compatible format to choose from, may be misled if we
> silently pick one and don't make that clear.

Suggestion: The user provides the earliest SVN version with which they
want compatibility, and SVN picks the latest WC format version that is
compatible with it.

For example, suppose SVN 1.17 introduces a WC format 33; then, if the
user requests compatibility with any of 1.8 thru 1.14, SVN will use WC
format 31; if the user requests compatibility with 1.15 or 1.16, SVN
will use WC format 32, and so on.

Cheers,
Nathan