On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 16:35:49 -0000, Kurt H Maier <khm-suckl...@intma.in> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 04:01:09PM -0000, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:
Dwm creates a dock (status bar) of its own and manages unlike any other x
window. Dwm is configured to use a menu that, rather than being managed
like any other x window, requests exemption from window management. By
your logic, if dmenu is not best "rendered like any other x window" than
dmenu is broken, and so is the status bar.

Your logic is inconsistent.  The status bar and dwm are not 'managed
unlike any other x window' because they are not managed at all.  This
is, in my opinion, a superior alternative to overengineering a
ridiculous set of specifications to accomplish the simple things that
dmenu and the status bar provide.  ewmh is flawed because it presumes a
specific interface paradigm.  it provides nothing that dmenu or the
status bar need that cannot be provided with override-redirect.

Fair enough. Keyboard grabbing and override-redirect make dmenu multisel e.g. unusable for intermittent input. But as dmenu is intended to be short-lived, that use case is simply out of scope anyway. I have the right to fork dmenu and maintain the dock patch for dwm, so I'll stop complaining.

--
-,Bjartur