Robert,

i wonder if this SO exchange might be familiar:
----
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/368803/bash-seems-to-be-in-special-mode
----

i just ran into something similar, where typing into the shell gave odd
characters (or, the "(arg: 1)" prompt).  in this case, for *me*, (*)
----
bash apollo2 (master): {35664} bind -v | grep convert-meta
set convert-meta on
----
was an indicator of what was wrong.  in my ~/.inputrc i had
----
set convert-meta on
----
(for some reason lost in history.)  taking this line out fixed *my*
problem with (newly invoked) shells.

for completeness, i *also* had a problem with emacs, which seems to be
because in my .bashrc, i had
----
export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
----

changing that to
----
export XMODIFIERS=@im=none
----
made emacs happy.

cheers, Greg

(*) causing X11's "compose feature" (which, through keyd(8), is how i'm
generating these non-ASCII characters) to send characters like ó to,
e.g., cat(1), worked.  my problems seemed to be just with the shell and
emacs.