Hello world,

Airbnb and Lyft (design) recently had a conference call to discuss *Superset
design*.

In hindsight we should have announced this meeting to the Apache community
in advance. For that, I apologize. In the future we will ensure that it is
both *announced in advance* and *accessible* via *freely** available*
conference software such as Google Hangouts.

Below I will outline the topics we covered and the proposal we would like
to run past the community for *discussion and a vote*.

*Topics:*

   - Superset design system alignment and strategy.
   - Superset design operating model.
   - Next steps and action items.

*Superset Design Operating System (proposal to vote on)*

The goal of this operating system proposal is to standardize on *community
accessible* (design related) discussion, proposals, process and reviews.

   1. Ad hoc (*only minor*) design discussion will happen in the Apache
   Superset #design *community accessible* slack channel.
   2. Design changes to Apache Superset should be proposed through the
*community
   accessible* dev@superset.incubator.apache.org email alias for a vote.
   3. Apache Superset will be designed in Sketch
   <https://www.sketchapp.com/> (unlike Photoshop, there is no comparable
   free tool). Sketch files *community accessible* (for free) through Sketch
   Cloud <https://www.sketchapp.com/docs/sketch-cloud/>. Please note many
   companies use different design tools. For example we at Airbnb use Figma.
   However, Sketch and Figma are backwards compatible.
   4. When design changes are submitted to the Apache Superset repo they
   should be tagged with the *community accessible* 'design' tag.

*Two requests:*

   - If anyone is designing Superset in any a tool other than Sketch or
   Figma please let the community know so we can work to ensure compatibility
   and access.
   - If there are any other designers engaging with Superset (past, present
   or future) please add them to the thread know so we can ensure they have a
   voice.

*Attention:*

   - Superset design will reconvene at the end of January. Date, time and
   links will be shared with the Apache community in advance.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best,
Eli

--