Hi Giuseppe,

Giuseppe Castagno wrote:
Hi Oliver,

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer - Sun Microsystems wrote:
Hi Giuseppe,

I have look at your patch and I have got some thoughts about the ODF:

First of all, your patch is in good shape.
There is one thing that not so good - it's the calling of method <SwChapterField::ChangeExpansion(..)>. But, there exists a solution - stay tuned.

well, I got the idea from SRC680_m201:sw/source/core/doc/doctxm.cxx:1905
the one that's currently working for index entry line formats (the code
used to expand the Chapter Info token put into index line with Chapter
info pushbutton, if I'm not wrong)

Calling of <SwChapterField::ChangeExpansion(..)> is in general Ok. But, if the "TOXsource-Node" isn't of type <SwTxtNode>, it's somehow not correct. It works, because in this special case this parameter isn't used. Please stay tuned, I will provide you an appropriate patch for this call.

Your solution works, except the load and save, but I think, we should choose a more flexible solution. This opinion comes from your suggestion for the OpenDocument file format. Your suggestion to enhance the index entry "chapter" (ODF element text:index-entry-chapter) by adding the missing value "plain-number" for attribute text:display and adding attribute text:outline-level as these are for chapter field sounds good. I will discuss this with our ODF experts. If they agree, we have to make a proposal to the OASIS ODF TC to include this change in the next ODF version. This means your proposed core boolean IsPrefixPageNum results in an additional index entry. Thus, why do not provide the user the possiblility to include such a index entry on its own in an arbitray position. Not only as a prefix to the page number entry. Then we haven't got the problem in the ODF to group the enhanced chapter entry with the page number entry together. In this case we also doesn't have add extra code to make the separator configurable. The already existing button "Chapter Info" already provides the chapter index entry to the user - the outline-level attribute has to be added.
What do you think? I think you could implement this.

Well, that was my second idea after I implemented the patch you examined.
I agree with you that a more flexible solution is needed, then using the
already available Chapter info pushbutton seems a good idea, but you
need to add the text:outline-level and may be text:plain-number attributes.

Yes, see below

These are missing in the index entry description (ODF 1.0 spec: 7.12.1)
whereas they are present as token in XML mapping (in
SRC680_m201:xmloff/source/core/xmltoken.cxx:1296 and :1356) because they
are available in chapter field formatting (ODF 1.0: 6.2.7).

Besides Chapter Info is currently available only in Alphabetical Index,
so in the UI it should be added where possible or the Chapter number (E#
token) could be used instead where available, by adding the outline
level to it.

Let me know it this is the way to go (e.g. using Chapter Info way and
the like) and I'll try to implement a patch to demonstrate it.

Yes. This sounds good.

One more thing about ODF: it seems that the Illustration Index and its
derived indexes lack the chapter information completely (ODF 1.0: 7.4.2).

I discussed our proposed change to the OpenDocument file format with our ODF experts of the OASIS ODF TC, namely Michael Bauer and Lars Oppermann. They support our change. Thus, we can enhance the ODF element text:index-entry-chapter. And you're right, that we have to include this index entry into all needed index types. This change of the OpenDocument file format have to be proposed to the OASIS ODF TC. I can do this, because I'm already a regulary member of this TC. When we want to include the enhancement for the next feature release of OpenOffice.org, namely OOo 2.3, we should propose this change to the OpenDocument file format for ODF version 1.2. The deadline for new proposals for this version is mid/end of February. Thus, we have to hurry. I propose, that I will write this proposal, discuss it with you and then post it to the OASIS ODF TC. We will be the authors/contributers of this proposal. In the meanwhile, I propose that you take care of writing the OpenOffice.org specification for this enhancement.

Regards, Oliver.

  • [sw-discussi... Giuseppe Castagno
    • Re: [sw... Mathias Bauer
    • Re: [sw... Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer - Sun Microsystems
      • Re:... Giuseppe Castagno
        • ... Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer - Sun Microsystems
          • ... Giuseppe Castagno