On 18/01/2013 09:43, Jan Bernhardt wrote:
Hi Francesco,

-----Original Message-----
From: Francesco Chicchiriccò [mailto:ilgro...@apache.org]
Sent: Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2013 17:47
To: dev@syncope.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Discussion] CXF migration (branches)

On 17/01/2013 10:54, Jan Bernhardt wrote:
Hi Francesco,
[...]
If, as it seems there is no other way out, I'd propose to move back
the CXF migration to 1.1.0 (as actually OSGi is still there) so that
no additional branch is created. This is valid as long as Spring MVC
interfaces are still working as now, as you said above.
Yes, Spring MVC interfaces will not be affected.
Fine, as written elsewhere by Andrei in this mail thread "it seems we
have agreed about it": would you please adjust JIRA issues accordingly?
I will take care of this.
Ok then why not introducing this new "common" maven submodule (as said
in the past) with root package org.apache.syncope.common and then start
moving away packages from client?

+1

Supposed that no one disagrees, I will create a Jira ticket for this task and
take care of this. Since this refactoring will effect most classes. I would do
this Monday morning. So all committers could use the time until Sunday to get
their changes committed and thus avoiding a bigger merging effort after this
refactoring.

Fine for me.

But rather than introducing a new module I would like to rename "client" module to "common"
(including "client" to "common" in package names).
When I did my CXF PoC (see CXF branch), I noticed that all packages except for
"org.apache.syncope.client.http" are needed in common.
Syncope-150 will introduce a rich client library. My proposal would be to move
"org.apache.syncope.client.http" to console, since "org.apache.syncope.console.rest" is in console
and also "rich client" related. Once we take care of Syncope-150 we can (re)create a "client"
module and then move both packages to this module.

Does this sound reasonable?

Please don't forget that there is people out there using Syncope core *without* (or not exclusively via) the admin console. Currently, they only needs the syncope-client dependency (+Spring if they want to rely upon RestTemplate) in their java apps.

Moreover, some client classes (the exception handler, for example) are not just model objects (like as *TO and *Mod).

Give these reasons, I would either leave things as they are (the current client module, with current classes inside) or introduce a new common as said above.

I actually don't see an option to rename common to client and re-introduce client at later stage; besides the rest, it generates some confusion IMHO.

Regards.