Hi Dhiren,

This is my personal opinion: a good way to start contributing to a new
(multi-layered) project is to look at action items at top layers and/or
bottom layers.

The top layer in SystemML are:
1. APIs (DSL: see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML-451,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML-917, and
https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/blob/master/src/main/python/systemml/defmatrix.py
 (Python/Scala), Algorithm wrappers: see
https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/blob/master/src/main/python/systemml/mllearn/estimators.py
 and
https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/tree/master/src/main/scala/org/apache/sysml/api/ml
, Deep Learning hooks: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML-540)
2. Adding new Algorithms/Libraries (see
https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/tree/master/scripts) and
3. Adding new demos (see
https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/tree/master/samples)

Ongoing work in bottom layers of SystemML are GPU (for example:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/pull/247), performance
improvement of Lib* libraries in the package
https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/tree/master/src/main/java/org/apache/sysml/runtime/matrix/data
, etc.

As an FYI, here is my answer on related question on quora:
https://www.quora.com/As-a-beginner-in-Data-Analysis-How-do-I-learn-and-use-SystemML-and-TensorFlow-released-by-IBM-and-Google/answer/Niketan-Pansare

Thanks,

Niketan Pansare
IBM Almaden Research Center