I was not envisioning anything very complicated just an Interface with all of
the non deprecated Interfaces in org.apache.tapestry5.services. I was not
looking for any new functionality.

To me code completion works much like reverse documentation. If I want a
ServletContext I would start typing

ServletContext context = core.

and go from there. Odds are I'd go down a few dead ends but I'd find the
right method pretty quickly (or give up and start using Google). Perhaps
it's just me but I would never start with the JavaDocs.

The positives are:
Certainty you are using the current public API (at least for the services).
Better IDE support

Perhaps:
Fewer field variables in pages/components. I can't count the number I've
times I've left off private.
Fewer arguments to Service constructors.

Personally I can't think of any negatives.