I voted +1 even though I have a workstation that is stuck on a particular
Java major/minor version because I have a dependency on some mainframe Java
browser plugin that only works on one specific Java release.

I would say there is no reason to encourage this behavior and I suspect the
number of people stuck on Java 1.5 that are interested in trying Tapestry is
a low number (perhaps 0). For those stuck on 1.5 that would like to upgrade
(and I'm one of them) life is tough but I'd prefer not to be the one holding
things back.

In my case I develop on 1.5 but my build machine has 1.6 and I deploy on
1.6. If I have to choose between mainframe access and upgrading I'll
probably pick upgrading.

Just my 2 cents.