Why is everybody mixing up JDK version and bytecode versions? True, JDK 5 isn't
officially supported
anymore and 6 won't be supported soon. I know of companies though that have
separate contracts with
Sun/Oracle that ensure support beyond the regular JDK life. But that has
nothing to do with the
bytecode version. Even with JDK 7 you can emit bytecode with bytecode version
49 which is Java 5
compatible and will run on any JRE >= Java 5.

As long as there are no language features of Java 6 or 7 that we want to use or
some other
enhancements we would otherwise miss, I'm against removing Java 5
compatibility. There simply is
nothing to be gained, only to be lost. If people are forced to use Java 6
because Hibernate is
compiled to output bytecode version 50 so be it. Tapestry compiled with Java 5
compatibility will
still run just fine.

Uli