Hi,

I had a closer look to the problem (reported by some of our developers):
There are a few really big pages. Formerly these where separate pages but since we changed everything to ajax navigation, these pages are consolidated to one page. I tested everything on a machine that runs the workspace on a hardware raid on SSDs where IO performance should not be the problem at all. After starting the webapp, the first load of this page takes ~30 seconds. I changed tapestrys log level to "ALL" and restarted - the page load took >4 minutes and printed several 100.000 log lines. Most log lines (and probably most time) is in ParameterWorker. It takes about 90% of the component assembling time. Subsequent reloads take just a few milliseconds. After modifying the page, reload takes again >4 minutes with full debug.
Most time is spend in ParameterWorker (logs from line 319, 329 and 340).
Another place which takes lot time is Registry (logs from line 67 and 81).

Since the code in ParameterWorker is called some 100.000 or millions times, speedup there would bring a big performance plus.

But maybe there are other ways to improve performance?

There are also a couple of performance tips at the very bottom of
http://tapestry.apache.org/class-reloading.html

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo