I eliminated the OGNL problem (simple caching, there are only a few unique expressions in the app). The call to file.exists() is also in tomcat's original classloader, so there's no difference. Then I profiled again.

- Page load takes ~50 seconds with profiler running. Before it took 65 seconds because of my own ogml caching issue. - File.exists() takes ~20 seconds: 90% from tomcat's Webapp Classloader called from AssetSourceImpl.getAsset. Probable reason: often-used components that injects assets? - PlasticProxyFactoryImpl.createProxy takes ~9 seconds: most often called from PropBindingFactory.newBinding

I'm going to do some more research next week.

Thank you for the hint - but it returns false.

Today I did some profiling with interesting results. Seems that the current issues are self-made :-(

I installed a trial of YourKit Java Profile which seest so be really usefull. Then I profiled a small page - once after it was changed, once on second reload. The profiler allows to compare both snapshots. CPU tracing slows down the application a lot, so don't wonder about the long times. Here are my results:

The biggest time difference of this test was in

ComponentClassTransformWorker.transform

where the page is build. This happens several times, e.g. when creating a link through link source to a different page that is not already build.

Here most time is consumed by InjectWorker. I tracked it down until spring's BeanFactory.getBeansOfType() - it took several seconds. After some more tests it turned out, that this was because of the profiler. Without it, this BeanFactory.getBeansOfType() was not a speed issue anymore:

Because the profiler slowed down everything, I repeated the same with a big page and without CPU tracing. In this mode, only method time, not invocation count is profiled - it then runs with reasonable speed. On the small page, everything happend within a few milliseconds which is below the threashold of the profiler. The results on the big page are much different: Time consumption splits into many different calls during renderPage. I used Hotspot profiling to trace it down to method calls. Here are the biggest time-consumers: - Most time goes to initializing OGNL-Bound expressions! This is a home-made issue. We used them in some cases where tapestrys expressions are not sufficient. Seems that there are uses in components that are used very often - I'll to a rework of the code and repeat the tests. Maybe I can cache it. - Initializing the assets. I tracked it down to a call to file.exists() in the webapp classloader - we use a special launcher that brings it's own classloader - I'll check if it ist also an issue for the default webapp classloader of tomcat.

I'l going to eliminate these issues and the post my new results.

Regards,
Michael.

We have a similiar application architecture, pages with a lot of ajax components, biggest page reloading takes ~ 5s.

Michael, make sure you don't have a debug enabled on the root logger, it could slow things down.

System.out.println(org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger("xyz123abcRandomLogger").isDebugEnabled()); - should return false.

Denis