I’m in favor of a transition release where we warn with the big bright warnings
that in the next release, we’ll be switching to the jQuery infrastructure by
default.  I would also suggest adding a means of determining whether people are
using the out-of-the-box prototype configuration and adding a runtime warning
for those cases as an additional way of indicating “Hey, you need to add this
configuration in 5.5 so your app won’t break in 5.6”.

Robert